The Scary Statistics.
In the States breast cancer afflicts 1 in 7 women. In 2011 220,097 women and 2,078 men were diagnosed with breast cancer; of them 40,931 women and 430 men died from it. Breast cancer has become an epidemic striking women in the United States: it affects about one in seven American women, (one in four in the UK under the age of 50) and it is occurring at younger and younger ages.
Now cancer is listed as either the No. 1 or No. 2 killer (depending on what methodology is used) in the United States (before or after heart disease). It is estimated that 60 percent of people over the age of 65 years have been diagnosed with cancer. According to an article in the International Journal of Cancer, women with the highest progesterone levels have 88 percent less breast cancer.
Unfortunately the government doesn’t seem to be doing too much about finding a cure. In fact not many appear to be interested in a cure.
U.S. government and the American Cancer Society, who should be focused in searching exhaustively for an underlying cause, instead continue putting exclusively all their (our) money and efforts in diagnosing (mammograms) and treating (chemotherapy, surgery, and radiation) that is, the usual ways. Nothing to prevent and cure.
The War On Cancer And Its Costs
It is ridiculous that a war on cancer declared more than 40 years ago by Mr. Nixon, war that has gulped billions of dollars since,
- Colorectal, $12.6 billions ,
- Prostate,$9.8billion ,
- Leukemia, $4.5 billion ,
has not been able to do anything significative to reverse cancer, in fact it has been a complete FAILURE. Or, worse, because now cancer has become a true epidemic. And our illustrious professors, doctors, luminaries of the medical profession have not one clue to what is causing cancer. So, what is cancer? This is the million-dollar question still.
According to a JAMA study the number of young women (aged 25-39) in the US being diagnosed with advanced breast cancer is also increasing.
Environmental factors, including exposure to synthetic hormones in birth control pills, personal care products and food, are likely fueling the increase of cancer rates.
The majority of US breast cancer cases could be prevented if people made wiser lifestyle choices, such as eating healthier, avoiding environmental poisons, exercising and optimizing vitamin D levels.
What Causes Cancer?
So, though not knowing all of the factors that cause cancer, we know that certain substances have shown to contribute to the disease. Synthetic hormones, as mentioned above, like Premarin and Provera, for instance, that were publicised for almost 30 years as a safe therapy against breast cancer and even that it would lower risk for heart disease, have been shown in a 2002 study by the Women’s Health Initiative a 26 percent increase in invasive breast cancer and a 29 percent increase in heart disease in women who took the synthetic hormones.
If your doctor is still prescribing these hormones, find a new doctor. The research is clear: Synthetic hormones should be avoided — especially when a bioidentical natural hormone (Progesterone) is available.
According to Dr. Brownstein, M.D., a board-certified family physician and one of the foremost practitioners of holistic medicine who has had many successes with natural hormones and nutritional therapies, iodine deficiency has been shown to alter the normal architecture of the breast tissue in the same way that it alters the normal architecture of all glandular tissue(thyroid, ovaries, uterus, and prostate).
Dr. Brownstein has experienced that over 95 percent of his new patients who suffered from thyroid and breast illnesses were iodine deficient. Is it any wonder that these patients are sick? He explains that Iodine is concentrated in the body’s endocrine system and breasts contain one of the highest concentrations of iodine in the body after the thyroid therefore iodine is required to produce all the hormones in the body.
In the breasts, iodine deficiency is associated with cyst formation and fibrocystic breast disease occurs in the majority of women.
If iodine deficiency continues, cysts will turn into small, rounded masses or lumps called nodules. And further deficiency will make the nodules becoming hyperplastic, that is, they will enlarge due to an abnormal multiplication of cells. Hyperplasticity is a precursor to cancer.
Because, iodine is known to have apoptotic effects (killer) on breast (and thyroid) cancer cells. In other words, iodine can cause cancer cells to die.
How Much Iodine Does The Body Need To Stay Healthy?
The RDA’s current recommended daily allowance for iodine — 150 mcg/day — is not sufficient to promote cancer cell death. Only iodine doses of at least 100 times the RDA (that is, at least 15 mg/day) are effective at promoting the apoptotic effects of iodine.
How the American Medical Industrial Complex Handles The Cancer Epidemic.
The huge medical- industrial complex in place to treat breast cancer works like this: Every hospital, medical centers, and even some doctors’ offices have the latest mammogram machines. So, f a mammogram shows a kind of abnormality, a surgeon becomes immediately involved and a biopsy is requested and performed. And if the diagnosis of cancer is made, the woman has to undergo more tests and surgeries, as well as prescriptions for chemotherapy and radiation.
Of course this is a huge business: Over 16 percent of our gross national product is spent on healthcare. A health care that is not helping us to live longer and better lives.
- What is conventional medicine’s approach to this problem?.
- Is the medical establishment misleading people about breast cancer?
- What do the medical establishment and the government do on finding the cause of and treatment for breast cancer –to prevent and eventually cure the disease?
- What should really be done to fight this terrible disease?.
The focus Of Conventional Medicine
Doctors practitioners of allopathic medicine critic conventional medicine’s approach to breast cancer. They believe that the cancer medical industrial complex are focused on doing what they have done for the last 70 years — diagnosing and treating breast cancer with surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation.
Though progress has been made in diagnosing breast cancer. with new tools, like mammograms and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) that can identify breast cancer lesions at a far earlier stage, nothing has changed about how long a woman lives with breast cancer once she has been diagnosed.
There are studies claiming that women are living longer, but most are not, they are simply diagnosed at an earlier stage than women were years ago.
Mammograms, for instance, can diagnose breast cancer at an earlier stage than could be done before. But studies have shown that less than 1 percent of women will actually live longer lives as a result of earlier diagnosis.
Statistics given to the population about cancer survival are misleading. For example, if a 50-year-old woman diagnosed with a 3 cm lesion will live, on average, 10 years, and a 45-year-old woman diagnosed with a 1 cm lesion will live 15 years, statistics claim that the second woman lived 50 percent longer because she was diagnosed 5 years earlier.
Obviously there is no correlation between the two facts.
The Official Protocol For Cancer Detection
Usually if a woman feels a lump during a self-exam and makes an appointment with her doctor he orders a mammogram and/or ultrasounds of the breast, and if the radiologist sees that there is something, he always asks that a biopsy be done immediately explaining that it is necessary to diagnose if there is the presence of cancer and begin treatment immediately if the result is positive, to stop the spreading.
So the terrorised woman agrees to undergo this dangerous practice. And that is the beginning of the manipulation of the patient’s life by the the cancer medical industrial complex. She will see an oncologist and a radiologist, and they will recommended that she should undergo radiation to the area to prevent recurrence of the cancer.
Nowadays the poor women are undergoing more mammograms, ultrasounds, biopsies, surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation treatment than ever before. In spite of an insignificant decline of death rate for breast cancer in the last 85 years.
Problems And Dangers With Traditional Diagnosing And Treatment Methods
When a woman is diagnosed with breast cancer, the standard of care when a suspicious lesion is detected is a biopsy of the lesion made with a fine needle aspiration.
Biopsies Spread And Increase Risk Of Cancer
Needle aspiration has been shown to cause “tract seeding” in cancers of the breast, lung, thyroid, head, and neck. “Tract seeding” is a definition of a phenomenon which happens when the needle is removed. As the needle is removed, the cancer cells will follow the needle tract and spread to surrounding tissues, nearby first and eventually more distant.
Studies have clearly shown the danger of this practice,
Because it is not the localised cancer, confined to the breast, that kills but the distant metastasis, it is unconceivable that doctors perform this procedure that is known to spread cancer
According to a published study has shown that patients who underwent fine needle biopsies were 50 percent more likely to experience spread to the lymph nodes (micrometastasis) than patients who had an entire breast cancer tumor removed by excisional biopsy.
Excisional Biopsy, The Alternative
So patients diagnosed with suspicion lesion in the breast, should undergo an excisional biopsy instead of fine needle aspiration.
Excision biopsy might cause disfiguration but will not lead to cancer spreading.
Mistaking Breast Cancer For DCIS
And perhaps this decline might be due to due to the diagnosing of DCIS (Ductal Carcinoma in Situ), a benign breast lesion, as breast cancer. Because DCIS was reclassified as breast cancer. So conventional medicine began treating DCIS with all its weapons, including surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation.
But 50 to 75 percent of DCIS lesions will resolve spontaneously without any therapy. And because DCIS diagnoses are made by mammography and fine needle aspiration biopsy —women are exposed to more danger than they faced in the first place.
When the breast cancer pathology of a woman comes as a DCIS, the lesion should be full excised.
Is Radiation Treatment Effective?
How effective is radiation therapy to the breasts after surgery?
After surgery, women are always told that they must undergo radiation to kill the remaining cancer cells. But radiation has not been shown to provide any survival benefit after surgery.
An article in The Lancet did report a 13.2 percent reduction in cancer deaths with radiation after lumpectomy, but deaths from all causes were 21.2 percent higher in the group of women treated with radiation after lumpectomy.
The causes of death were mostly from heart disease, which may have been caused by radiation to the chest wall — particularly when the cancer occurred in the left breast overlaying the heart.
Radiation has been shown to be effective at decreasing local recurrence of breast cancer. But, as said before, local recurrence does not kill people; it is distant recurrence that kills.
Some studies have shown that radiation slightly decreases distant recurrence, but there is a higher mortality rate in women who choose radiation therapy. So radiation therapy for breast cancer can slightly prevent local recurrences but will not prolong life.
Overall, it appears that there is not a survivability benefit with radiation therapy for breast cancer.
Effectiveness Of Chemotherapy
Is the other choice women are offered as part of their treatment.
Unfortunately chemotherapy statistics have never shown to cure metastatic breast cancer. a few months survival is the only benefit, at best.
Harm of chemotherapy highly outweighs its benefits. It is very toxic, and adverse effect are fever, infection, low white blood cells count, anaemia, dehydration and blood clots.
Effectiveness of Testing For BRCA Genes.
The case of Angelina Jolie.
The notoriety of this test is due to the case of Angelina when she revealed that she had tested positive for BRCA mutations and she had decided to have a both breasts removed (bilateral mastectomy), and later also had her ovaries removed.
The publicity of the case pushed many women to request the BRCA mutation test.
It is known that people who inherit mutation in the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes have a higher risk of getting breast, ovarian, prostate, and other endocrine cancers.
BRCA1 is a gene on chromosome 17 that that helps suppress cell growth. BRCA2, on chromosome 13, also suppresses cell growth.
Blood tests can reveal mutations in BRCA1 and 2. These tests were introduced by Myriad Genetics.
Incredibly the U.S. government allowed Myriad to own the patent on the two genes that carry BRCA mutations. You understand the absurdity of this case: we have been created by God with BRCA 1 and 2 genes but Myriad for a time owned a patent on them.
Of course, owning the patent on the genes, allowed Myriad for years exclusive rights on BRCA testing charging thousands of dollars to perform them.
Now, consequently to a new unanimous ruling of the U.S. Supreme Court that human genes cannot be patented, the price of the test has declined to about $1,000.
Myriad Claims To Effectiveness Of BRCA Testing As A Cancer Predictor In spite Of Unreliable Statistics.
Myriad reports claimed that women with a BRCA mutation had up to a 50 percent chance of developing breast cancer by age 50, and up to a 90 percent chance by age 70.
This “up to” is a very vague description that does not say anything real but on this “up to” Angelina based her decision.
A silly decision because a 2015 study looking at the evidence behind the BRCA testing by performing a meta-analysis of 66 relevant studies, found that although BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations had a “. . . tendency toward a worse breast cancer-specific and overall survival, however, [the] results were heterogeneous and the evidence was judged to be indecisive.”
And the study summarised their findings like this “Our review shows that, in contrast to currently held beliefs of many oncologists and despite 66 published studies, it is not yet possible to draw evidence-based conclusions about the association between BRCA1 and/or BRCA2 mutation carriership and breast cancer prognosis.”
Genetic testing perhaps could be warranted if there is a very high rate of breast cancer in a person’s family but then consider the conclusion of the above reported study before deciding if it is worth to have your breasts removed based on Myriad’s unreliable statics.
Also be aware that In the general populatioon, BRCA mutations are rare — occurring in between 1 in 6,000 to 8,000 women. However, BRCA mutations occur in 1 in 40 Ashkenazi Jewish women Therefore, if you are not an Ashkenazi Jew, there is no great need for BRCA mutation screening.
the original BRCA data were based on a small study of Ashkenazi Jewish women, who are known to have a higher prevalence of BRCA mutations.
Besides only about 5 percent of all breast cancers occur in patients with BRCA mutations.
Breast cancer is a great worry for the future of all women but the cancer medical industrial complex , the powerful Cancer Society and Susan G. Komen Foundation should start looking for the underlying cause, the source of this disease instead of pumping money only on dangerous diagnosis and deadly treatment practices.
Breast Cancer Possible Causes And Possible Prevention.
For some naturopathic doctors breast cancer is caused by a combination of environmental oestrogens (xenoestrogens)-which mimic the body hormone oestrogen, and iodine deficiency.
Breast Cancer Prevention Recommendations
- Preventing the disease is far more important than trying to detect it after it has already formed.
- According to the American Institute of Cancer Research about 40 percent of US breast cancer cases could be prevented if people had betters lifestyle habits.
- Avoid sugar, especially fructose. All forms of sugar are detrimental to health in general and promote cancer.
- Optimize your vitamin D. Vitamin D influences virtually every cell in your body and is one of nature’s most potent cancer fighters; recent research suggests maintaining your vitamin D levels may cut your cancer risk by 77 percent. Vitamin D is actually able to enter cancer cells and trigger apoptosis (programmed cell death). If you have cancer, your vitamin D level should be between 70 and 100 ng/ml.
- Remember that if you take oral vitamin D3 supplements, you also need to increase your vitamin K2 intake, as vitamin D increases the need for K2 to function properly.
- Get plenty of natural vitamin A. Vitamin A also plays a role in preventing breast cancer. Get it from vitamin A-rich foods, rather than a supplement, like organic egg yolks, raw butter, raw whole milk, and beef or chicken liver.
- Make a lymphatic breast massage that enhance syour body’s natural ability to eliminate cancerous toxins.
- Avoid charring your meats. Charcoal or flame-broiled meat is linked with increased breast cancer risk. Acrylamide — a carcinogen created when starchy foods are baked, roasted or fried — has been found to increase breast cancer risk as well.
- Avoid unfermented soy products. Unfermented soy is high in phytoestrogens, also known as isoflavones. They increase breast cell proliferation,
- Improve your insulin receptor sensitivity by avoiding sugar and grains and making sure you are exercising.
- Maintain a healthy body weight.Excess body fat produces estrogen.
- Drink organic green vegetable juice daily (a half to whole quart) Juice your vegetables.
- Get plenty of high-quality animal-based omega-3 fats, such as krill oil. Omega-3 deficiency is a common underlying factor for cancer.
- Use turmeric. Curcumin, the primary active ingredient in turmeric in high concentrations, especially when combined with black pepper compound piperine, can be very useful adjunct in the treatment of breast cancer. It shows immense therapeutic potential in preventing breast cancer metastasis.
- Do not drink alcohol,
- Breastfeed exclusively for at least up to six months. Breastfeeding can reduce your breast cancer risk.
- Avoid wearing underwire bras.
- Avoid electromagnetic fields as much as possible. Even electric blankets may increase your cancer risk.
- Avoid synthetic hormone replacement therapy. Breast cancer is an estrogen-related cancer
- Avoid BPA, phthalates and other xenoestrogens. These estrogen-like compounds have been linked to increased breast cancer risk.
- Avoid polluted environments
- If possible, live in a clean unpolluted environment far from manufacturing plants.
- Eat only organic foods which does not contain those external oestrogens which are found also in pesticides, herbicides, and insecticides sprayed on regular vegetables and fruits.
- Take and maintain adequate iodine level. Because iodine maintains a normal structure of the glandular tissues (breast, thyroid, ovaries, uterus and prostate) its deficiency causes glandular tissue to become first cystic, then hard and nodular, then hyperplasic and eventually cancerous.
- Breast Cancer Risks Might Be Hiding In Your Milk
- RBGH is the largest selling dairy animal drug in the US, (but it is banned in Canada, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, and in the 27 countries of the European Union because of its dangers to human health) The cows are injected with it to boost their milk production.
- RBGH milk contains increased levels of insulin growth factor-1 (IGF-1). IGF-1 regulates the ability of cancer cells to spread to your distant organs (invasiveness). Therefore it has has potent growth-stimulating effects in human breast tissue.
- Premenopausal women with elevated IGF-1 levels had up to a seven-fold increase in breast cancer, one study showed. And separate research showed women younger than age 35 who have elevated IGF-1 have more aggressive breast cancer.
- Children exposed to high IGF-1 may become “sensitized,” leading to health problems later in life, such as breast enlargement in infants and young children, and breast cancer in adult women. Yet, despite these elevated risks to children, few schools make rBGH-free or organic milk available, nor do most state governments under low-income food programs.
- Make sure you’re not iodine deficient. There’s compelling evidence linking iodine deficiency with breast cancer. It actually has potent anticancer properties and has been shown to cause cell death in breast and thyroid cancer cells. For more information, read Dr. Brownstein’s book.
Until next time.